Aubergine and Fresh Irkotta Bake
3 large aubergines, cut into 1cm thick slices
Benna Fresh Irkotta
1 finely chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1kg fresh ripe tomatoes, cut into slices
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- Sprinkle both sides of the aubergine slices with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes in a colander. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Put a pan on medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Once warm, add the onion, garlic and dried oregano and cook until lightly brown. Add the sliced tomatoes and give the mixture a good stir. Place a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the aubergines in cold water until salt is removed. Heat a griddle pan until piping hot. Grill the aubergines on both sides until slightly charred. Place the grilled aubergines on a tray and repeat the process with another batch, until all aubergine slices are grilled.
- When the tomato sauce is reduced, season it lightly with salt and pepper. Add the basil leaves, cook for another 3 minutes and remove from the heat.
- In a medium sized baking dish, put a thin layer of the tomatoe mixture, top it off with a thin layer of Benna Fresh Irkotta, and finish with a single layer of aubergines. Repeat this layering process until you have utilised all ingredients.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes until brown. Once ready, garnish with some fresh irkotta and basil leaves, and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm.